Freelance Job Description
Stories of Asia (SOA) is Asia’s fastest-growing Storyteller Incubator that seeks to empower the Asian community with a voice through storytelling.
We are a team of people who are passionate about giving a voice to the voiceless, and do it through a variety of mediums such as articles, videos, podcasts, and community events.
Through our work across 7 chapters (Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam, Myanmar and Hong Kong) and counting, we seek to inspire positive change, share lessons and connect like-minded people to create value for our community.
We are currently looking for a SGUnited Trainee who is passionate about writing to take on many of the interesting profiles we have to feature.
- Interview interesting and unique individuals, business leaders, and professionals in the corporate space.
- Work with the editorial team to rework and refine your stories.
- Design social media posts on Canva and write social media captions
- Reach out to NGOs and other institutions in the Asian community to find stories to feature.
- Manage our content repository.
- Social media management.
- Pitching skills. While many of the articles you work on will be commissioned by us, you are encouraged to source for interesting newsmakers or article ideas and pitch them to us.
- Interviewing skills. You should be able to engage interviewees comfortably and ask well-placed questions that encourage them to answer with candour to elaborate on details.
- Planning skills. After the interview, you should be able to sift out the most interesting details of the interview and weave them together in a way that makes a compelling story.
- Writing skills. It is a bonus if you are comfortable with different writing styles. If you are not, that's okay. What is valuable is the ability to adapt and learn how to write different kinds of articles on the job.
- Basic design skills for social media. It is okay if you do not have much experience in design. What matters is that you have an eye for aesthetics and are able to create social media posts and thumbnails using sites like Canva.
- Time management skills. You will be managing a lot of deadlines and different projects — both client and internal, so the ability to multitask and manage your time is essential.